Skip to main content
Cypress cross in a metal frame

Cypress cross in a metal frame

Inv. #
М-102
Dimensions
21 × 19 × 2 cm
Materials

Description

A four-armed carved cross, in a metal frame. On the front of the cross is a depiction of the "Crucifixion." On the crossbar, above Christ's head, are the letters "INRI" ("Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews"). Around Christ's head is a round halo, flanked by the letters "IS" and "KHS" ("Jesus Christ"). Beneath the side arms of the cross are the letters "NI" and "KA" ("Victor"). At the top, amid clouds, is a triangular halo with the All-Seeing Eye in radiance — a symbol of God the Father. On the left arm is a half-length image of the Mother of God, her hands folded in a gesture of prayer. She wears a maphorion, with a round halo around her head. On the right arm is a half-length image of John the Baptist, his right hand resting on his belt. He wears a chiton, girded with a belt, with a round halo around his head. At the bottom of the cross are depictions of the Head of Adam at Golgotha and of city buildings. On the reverse, at the center, is a depiction of the Virgin Mary, her hands crossed in a gesture of prayer, standing on a raised platform, dressed in a long tunic and maphorion, with a round halo around her head. To the left and right of her halo are the letters "MR ΘU" ("Mother of God"). Above her head, amid clouds, is a depiction of the Holy Spirit as a dove in radiance. On the left arm is a half-length image of the Venerable Anthony, with a long beard, his hands folded in a gesture of prayer. He wears a monastic mantle, with a paramand in front and a kukol on his head, with a round halo. On the right arm is a half-length image of a venerable saint (not identified), with a long beard, his hands folded in a gesture of prayer, wearing a monastic mantle with a paramand in front, with a round halo around his head. At the bottom of the cross are the Tablets of the Covenant, in the form of two slabs with the Ten Commandments. On the top edge of the metal frame is a ball; on the end arms are palmettes. On the lower arms, on both sides, is the inscription: "For the repose of Yevdokia."

The cross belonged to the pre-war (pre-1941) part of the collection of the H. S. Skovoroda Historical Museum. It was evacuated in 1941 and returned to Kharkiv in November 1944.