Skip to main content
Cross handle, with the inscription: "This cross was erected in Sloboda Nikolaevka to the church of Nicholas by regimental esaul Ivan Vasiliev in 1727."

Cross handle, with the inscription: "This cross was erected in Sloboda Nikolaevka to the church of Nicholas by regimental esaul Ivan Vasiliev in 1727."

Inv. #
М-57 ЛБС-277
Materials

Description

The handle is made of silver, faceted, hollow inside. At the ends are balls. On the top end of the handle is a threaded fitting for attaching the body of the cross to the handle. On the facets is an engraved text, in Church Slavonic (Russian): "This cross was erected for the sloboda of Mykolaivka, for the Church of St. Nicholas, by the regimental captain Ivan Vasyliev, 1727."

The object belonged to the pre-war (pre-1941) part of the collection of the Historical Museum; it was evacuated during the Second World War, and returned to Kharkiv in November 1944.