Cypress cross, in a metal frame.
- Inv. #
- М-32 ЛВС-8
- Century
- 18th century
Description
A four-armed carved cross, in a metal frame, with a handle. On the front of the cross is a depiction of the "Crucifixion." Above Christ's head is an unfurled scroll with the letters "INRI" ("Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews"). On the side arms are the letters "IC" and "XC" ("Jesus Christ"). Above, amid the heavenly spheres, is a triangular halo — a symbol of God Sabaoth. On the left arm is a depiction of a ladder, and on the right a "column." At the bottom of the cross is a depiction of the Head of Adam at Golgotha, and of city buildings. On the reverse of the cross, at the center, is a depiction of the Virgin Mary with her hands crossed in a gesture of prayer, standing on a raised platform, dressed in a long tunic and maphorion, with a round halo around her head. To the left and right of her halo are the letters: "MR ΘU" ("Mother of God"). Above her head are the heavenly spheres and a depiction of the Holy Spirit as a dove within a radiance. On the left arm is a depiction of a ladder, and on the right Noah's Ark in a boat. The metal frame of the cross, on both front and back, is decorated with an engraved ornament of a zigzag line and flowers with leaves. Between the crossbars are golden radiating rays, and the ends of the arms finish in stylized floral branches. The cross has a faceted handle, ending in a ball. On the facets of the cross is the Church Slavonic inscription: "This cross was commissioned by Mr. Mykola Rud for the Church of Saint Nicholas in the sloboda of Mykolaivka, on May 25, 1787."
The cross belonged to the pre-war (pre-1941) part of the collection of the H. S. Skovoroda Historical Museum. It was evacuated in 1941 and returned to Kharkiv in November 1944.